Thursday, February 10, 2011

LISA M. LUGO BLOG POST #3/14

"I wasn't about to ride another man's dream; I had a big dream of my own. It was time to get the hell off Doc's back"


I was born in Puerto Rico with a different culture, a different way of thinking and surrounded by a population with flavor and distinctive latino attitude. For some reason I've never felt like my destiny, dreams or aspiration reside in my island. Therefore, I made the desicion to come to the U.S.A to get my college degree and be part of this "American Dream". I don't feel less Puerto Rican or more American for making this desicion, but I do think in every person's life one has to make a choice for one's own future. For this reason I chose The Shipping Forecast by Mark Power, because it shows how your aspirations may be very distant from the people who surround you. At some point you need to take your own ship for the journey of your goals. Pick the right one though, you must the captain of your dreams.


Charles Willeford, Cockfighter (New York: Vintage Books, 1972), page 59

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes the wrong journey brings you closer to your true purpose in life. We learn from our shortcomings if we are fortunate. Sometimes sprititual growth is not possible until one bottoms out, leaving no where to reach but up to a power or force greater than ourselves. As a kid growing up in NYC, I got on many wrong subway trains and wrong buses but there were always lessons gained by the percieved "wrong" choice. In actuality, I discovered so many stores, theatre, people, friends, events and life by wrong choices or journeys.

    ReplyDelete