Friday, February 18, 2011

Katie Faunce Post #4


"His eyes shift to the floor, as if he expects it to fall away like a trap door under a hangman's noose"

I thought this quote gave a very graphic picture of what Jesse was thinking at the moment when he was convicted of murder. He no longer could look the police in the face he just hung his head in remorse. I find that on a more elementary level a lot of people do this. When I used to get caught for doing something wrong when I was little I would look at the ground and make sure that I didn't make eye contact with my parents. I was scared that they would punish me. I also think that some people need to show shame more often. Jesse knows that he has done something wrong so he is admitting it and shameful of his actions. He knows that his punishment will soon be received with the help of a noose.

I thought this picture was representative of the quote because it shows a man who is naked and vulnerable. He is curled up into the fetal position and seems to be hiding from the world around him. The background is dark except for the intersecting ropes on the right hand side which represent his death by noose.

Murray Silver, Behind the Moss Curtain (Bonaventure, 2005), pg 67
http://library.artstor.org/library/#3|search|6|2020rope|Filtered20Search|||type3D3626kw3Drope26geoIds3D26clsIds3D34303130313226id3Dall26bDate3D26eDate3D26dExact3D3126prGeoId3D|||

No comments:

Post a Comment