Friday, April 8, 2011

LISA M. LUGO BLOG POST 10/13

"I knew this, and I knew just as well that he would eventually blame me instead of himself. That's the way men are"

I believe Frank is consistently afraid and paranoid that somebody is going to betray him, or ruin his cockfighting business. He knows people expect less from him, so he likes to think anybody could betray him at some point regardless of the relationship. Therefore, I chose the picture were Judas betrays Jesus Christ, because I think Frank acts like a Jesus in this scenario. Where both of them come for a mission, but both predict somebody will or could sentence the end of their mission, or perhaps the end of their lives. They both surround themselves of people who they can trust and are familiar with the goals that they have. In my opinion, there is always a Judas in any situation; somebody who would want more power than their superior. I think that when Frank says "[t]hat's the way men are", he refers to history and the way people in general deal with situations and confrontation. I chose this picture because in my mind it refereed back to not only when Judas betrayed Jesus, but also when he denied it. Frank quotes how humanity lacks confrontation and the fear of being wrong; just like Judas felt after he betrayed Jesus and how Jesus predicted the betrayal.



Charles Willeford. Cockfighter (New York: Vintage Books, 1972), page 167

http://www.abcsoffaith.com/temp1/howfndt1.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment