Wednesday, April 20, 2011

CARINA DOMINGUEZ BLOG POST 12/14


"And when he pulled off, he grabbed my pursue and told me "Bitch, give me all your money." I told him I wasn't going to give him anything. Ok since then I've learned that you don't fight back. But I fought back that night. He wound up taking my purse and my coat. I wore wigs then, and he took my wig. He took everything."

In this passage, Carole was robbed of all of her belongings. She is a very poor woman, and doesn't have much to claim under her name. In this situation, she explains what happened to her as she was supposed to meet up with a random client and he ended up stealing everything she owned. I chose this image because I think today people are obsessed with materials to the point that when they are gone people are disoriented. Materials have a major role in all of our lives, more than they used to in previous generations. We are worried about having the latest gadgets, clothing, cars etc that we forget about what is truly important. In Carole's situation, she could have had her life taken, but she was only concerned about the materials that were stolen. Paris Hilton is a person who is defined by the materials she owns. She is known for her ridiculous amounts of spending, but if she wasn't as wealthy as she is now I think she would be lost in society. As an iconic celebrity to many young girls, she teaches young generations that life is good as long as you have a lot of materials like popular clothing, little chihuahuas, and customized cars.


Frederique Delacoste, Priscilla Alexander, Sex Work (San Francisco: Cleis Press, 1987), page 168.

http://politicalvindication.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/paris_hilton.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment