Thursday, April 21, 2011

ALEXANDRIA ASCIOTI #12/12

"'A weed is a plant out of place.' I find a hollyhock in my cornfield, and it's a weed. I find it in my yard, and it's a flower."

People can be considered weeds in places where they may not fit in or belong. When I reflect on this quote, I imagine someone who may flourish in a certain place, but feel out of place in another. For instance, in relation to this quote I can think of someone who moves from the suburbs to a city and feel completely out of place. It is the city where one may feel like he or she does not belong, but be a satisfied "flower" where one originates. This situation can also occur the other way around. The city-goer may not feel confident in a small town where everyone knows each other. I chose this picture because it is a clear model of situations for humans. The story of the ugly duckling says that the black duck is the outsider. However, in this photograph the yellow duck is the one who does not fit in. This shows how there is a place in the world for everyone to have the opportunity to belong. There is place for every "ugly duckling" to feel as if they are a part of something and feel like a developing flower as opposed to a weed.


Jim Thompson. The Killer Inside Me. Vintage Books. 1991. 236.

No comments:

Post a Comment