Friday, April 22, 2011

Evan Adams #12/12


"I got him fresh rock-polishing cloths from tie to time and in 1967 I got him a new rock-hammer--the one I'd gotten him nineteen years ago had, as I told you, plumb worn out. Nineteen years! When you say it sudden like that, those three syllables sound like the thud and double-locking of a tomb door. The rock-hammer which had been a ten-dollar item back then, went for twenty-two by '67. He and I had a sad little grin over that."


This quote is significant to me because it shows how when one is in jail, they lose track of time. Andy and Red had been going about their normal constant routine and the next time they looked up, it had been 19 years. The fact that the rock-hammer went up in price shows how much the world has changed outside of Shawshank, and how little the impact is on the inmates.

Book: King, Stephen. "The Shawshank Redemption." Different Seasons. New York: Viking, 1982. Print. (Page 66)
Image: http://tucsoncitizen.com/lizard/files/2009/06/breccia.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment