Friday, April 8, 2011

ALEXANDRIA ASCIOTI #10/14

"It was like being asleep when you were awake and awake when you were asleep. I'd pinch myself, figuratively speaking - I had to keep pinching myself. Then I'd wake up kind of in reverse; I'd go back into the nightmare I had to live in. And everything would be clear and reasonable."

Because of the main character's darkness, he only feels comfortable when he is living in that nightmare of his. When he is living among his darkness, he feels like that is where he belongs. In this novel, his darkness is murdering people. He has lived through multiple nightmares in his life and the picture represents these numerous darknesses. The main character feels disoriented when he is awake from his nightmare because he does not exactly fit in. I believe that he understands that he is different from everyone else. Therefore, he knows he has to go back into hiding, which is beneath his nightmare. He sees everything from a different perspective there. When I look at this picture I see the large and wide eyes that main character views his life through during the nightmares.


Jim Thompson. The Killer Inside Me. Vintage Books. 1991. 155.

No comments:

Post a Comment