Thursday, March 3, 2011

Katie Faunce post #6


"No, I can't. I ran down the street before I realized what had happened. Then I went back and listened to his heart but I couldn't hear it beating. When I woke up the next morning, I thought it was all a nightmare. It wasn't until my father asked me about the blood-soaked pillow in the yard that it started coming back to me."



This quote is spoken by Jesse. He is being asked by police officers if he remembers what he hit his victim with. He can remember the details of everything up until he is asked about how he killed him. It is almost like that instant was erased from his memory. He talks about how vivid the memory is but it seems almost as if it was a dream because of how graphic it was. The other strange thing is that he can't remember why he did it but he said that it felt good that he finally got it off his chest.

The photo I picked represents the street lamps on the night of the killing. When he went back to see the body he could only see parts that were lit up by the lamp and everything around it was dark. The photo is not very sharp and it is dark all around the edges of the lamp which represents his inability to remember what had happened. All of the colors in the photo also made me think of the strangeness of it, like the strangeness of dreams. Jesse believed that everything was a nightmare because of how strangely vivid it was, like it wasn't real.The light can also represent the truth that Jesse has now shared about the killing and everyone is now "in the light" regarding what happened.

Murray Silver, Behind the Moss Curtain (Bonaventure, 2005), pg 75

http://library.artstor.org/library/#3|search|1|street20light|Multiple20Collection20Search|||type3D3126kw3Dstreet20light26id3Dall26name3D

No comments:

Post a Comment