Friday, March 4, 2011

KAITLIN CONGO #6/14


"I stumbled on the uneven path. I lifted my eyes to the sky behind the peaks and felt the silence. This was what I had imagined a wilderness to be."

The way I interpreted this quote was, despite all the outrageous, nasty weather Stewart had been coming encouter with on his journey across Afghanistan from; hail, snow, to a full blown blizzard, it was on this "uneven path" before reaching the village of Gandab... where all his preconveived notions of nature and "the wilderness" had been validated. It was as if he was more internally at peace when he reached this uneven path because of the tranquility that came with being on this path. Not to mention is was a mile marker as far as his journey was taking place. And this path only represented the bottom of the mountain Stewart was about to venture up as he continued his journey. I believe when most of us picture "the wilderness" we get this same image in our head of rich greenc olored trees towering over us, giving us shade on a dirt path... which is why I chose this picture. The description Stewart gave had me conjure up this same metal picture.
Alan Jefferson. Path Through the Woods. Self Published. October 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment