Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sarah Jacoby Blog Post #1/14

"That sense of being in a dream persisted-I walked, I talked, I answered the phone, I worked on my book, which had been about eighty percent complete when Jo died-but all the time there was this clear sense of disconnection, a feeling that everything was going on at a distance from the real me, that I was more or less phoning it in."
























When we lose a loved one without warning, the world as we know it ceases to exist. Without the presence of that one very special person our lives and everything in them no longer carries the same meaning. Our accomplishments no longer feel like a success without that person there to support a
nd congratulate us. Without that person's guidance we feel lost, trapped in another lonely world all our own and all we want is to be able to break out the depression and rejoin everyone back in reality but we can't. I chose this picture because I believe it embodies how the main character feels, he can only glimpse the real world through interactions with others, like looking out through the hole in a wall. The death of his wife has trapped him away from reality, similarly like this image depicts one being trapped from the outside world.


Stephen King, Bag of Bones (New York: Pocket Books, 1998), page 16
http://library.artstor.org.esearch.ut.edu/library/welcome.html#3|cluster|LESSING_ART_10310484114||The20Lonely20Cross||||||

No comments:

Post a Comment