Thursday, January 27, 2011

Myall Budden #1/14

“Don’t you so much as breathe one word of this nonsense to Durnik or anyone else,” she said, her dark eyes burning into his with a fire he had never seen there before.

Words can affect someone as much as they let them. On the other hand, there is something about a person’s eyes that can raise a profound amount of emotion. Whether it is a stern stare from a professor, a longing gaze from your lover, or a hopeless gape from someone in need, eyes have a certain quality that makes them extremely powerful. It is widely known that art has the ability to capture beauty in a variety of ways, but some works of art are so intriguing simply because of how the artist painted the persons eyes. Take for example the Mona Lisa, her eyes gaze deep into your soul and it seems that she understands you. The above quote takes a similar artistic approach, and as a reader, I could feel the intensity through the description of the eyes. I have felt the same stare, so I could almost immediately relate to Durnik and feel the emotion that the author is trying to portray. Thus, the image I chose is one of a lady with quite a stern look, with very dark, mysterious eyes. As I was scrolling through pictures, the ladies eyes initially caught my attention and I could almost feel the same emotions as when I read the quote listed above. It is as if her eyes were staring into mine with a certain intensity that made me feel quite attached to her immediately.

David Eddings, Pawn of Prophecy (New York: Ballantine Books, 1982), page 15

http://www.colby.edu/academics_cs/museum/search/Obj3228



1 comment: